Monday, June 20, 2016

Homemade shower and tub cleaner - safe for toddlers



Yesterday, I noticed a scum ring in my tub, so I grabbed the spray bottle of chemicals and sprayed it down. I scrubbed it and gave it a quick rinse and moved on to other tasks because I have a toddler in my house.

Not even an hour later, I was playing with my toddler.  We were making dad a gift of painted hand prints when my son took his painted hand and landed it right on top of his head.  Needless to say that when we finished, one of us needed a good bath.

I ran some water and put him into the tub.  I grabbed a washcloth to start working on the paint while he played with his bath toys. He ran a truck along the water line and it filled with water.  He then took a drink of the water.  This had scraped the area where I had sprayed chemicals.  Ew.

I grabbed the bottle and had a look to see what was in the cleaner.  Ew.  I couldn't even pronounce the names of the ingredients.

I then decided that from now on, I will only clean my tub and shower with things that won't harm my son (in small quantities).


TUB
So to clean my tub I use baking soda and vinegar.  When you combine the two, they will fizz, but use enough vinegar to make a paste and scrub the scum away with a sponge, then rinse.  It works like magic.

SHOWER
For the shower, I use a spray bottle labeled VINEGAR and I spray vinegar onto the shower wall.  I then sprinkle some baking soda onto my sponge and wipe the shower wall.  Rinse afterwards.


Yesterday, I called a glass company in to get an estimate for a new shower.  Would you believe that the contractor said not to use harsh chemicals.  He said they recommend vinegar and baking soda.  wow!





No comments:

Post a Comment